First adopted March 26, 1997- revised May 2010- revised February 2018- revised December 2020
The Williston Recreation & Parks Department will make park facilities available to the public on a first-come-first-served basis, according to the User Classification below (previous users have priority reservation). With the permission of the Williston Recreation and Parks Department, some facilities or amenities may be available for special use on a reserved and exclusive-use basis. Fees are assessed for use of park fields, facilities, and amenities.
The objective of the following policy is to define which park areas may be used for different purposes, appropriateness and conditions of use, scheduling requirements and priorities and reservation requirements.
To establish priorities for groups seeking permission for exclusive and/or regular use of park facilities, the following classifications apply in descending order of priority. The Williston Recreation and Parks Department reserves the right to cancel the use of a park facility by any group/organization, due to weather, field conditions or in favor of a group that is of higher classification.
- Events sponsored/co-sponsored by the Town of Williston, Williston Recreation & Parks, or the Williston Schools.
- Williston Residents: Non-profit groups/sports leagues consisting of Williston youth or adults.
- Williston Residents: For-profit individuals, groups, organizations, or businesses.
- Non-Resident: Profit or non-profit youth or adult sports leagues.
- Non-Resident: Profit or non-profit individuals, groups, organizations, or businesses.
Permit Required Uses
The following conditions require a Williston Recreation & Parks Field/Facility Permit to be obtained. The permit must be in possession of the user during the scheduled use.
- A group, organization or individual who wish to reserve and use a park area or facility.
- Reservation and exclusive use of a park area, field or facility for a specific time and date or on a continued scheduled basis. (This includes “informal” practices by organized teams, “pick up” type games and scrimmages by groups and any small or large group clinics or one on one instruction).
- Use of a park area, field or facility for a tournament/jamboree, camp, or an event where individuals or teams are charged a fee to participate or spectate.
- Use of a park area, field or facility for a planned event open to the public.
- Use of park area or facility for commercial or fund-raising purposes
- Use of a park area, field or facility for mass media advertising, photography or for entertainers where donations or fees may or may not be solicited.
The following are the stipulation and conditions of obtaining a permit for any Williston Parks Facility. All groups, organizations or individuals seeking to schedule the use of a park facility must fill out a Permit Application with the Williston Recreation and Parks Department to obtain a permit.
- Permission to use a park facility will be granted to persons twenty-one years of age and older.
- The Williston Recreation and Parks Department reserves the right to deny permission for an event if it is seen as potentially causing detriment to the Town of Williston facilities and resources.
- Denial of a permit may be appealed to the Williston Recreation & Parks Committee.
- The permit holder must always be present and have the permit on their person. They must show it upon request from a representative of the Town of Williston. (police, fire, recreation, etc.)
- The group and participants are restricted to the designated are of use, within the time frame listed.
- The permit holder is responsible for the actions of all persons using the park facility on the permit. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to inform all members of their group of the rules and regulations.
- Unruly behavior may result in immediate cancellation of the permit and/or future use of fields/facilities.
- Permits are not transferable. The park facility is to be used only by the group/participants permitted for, and for the purpose stated, and on the date on the permit.
- A specific day, date, and time, on the permit, may be cancelled if the facility is needed for a recreation program, town event or school function. Advanced notice will be given to the contact person.
- The permitted group must notify the Recreation & Parks Department of all times that the park facility will not be used by their group. Weather cancellations exempted.
- Any costs incurred by the town in preparation for any activity/event or after such activity/event will be charged to the user group. This may be the cost of additional personnel that are required or trash removal.
- If any damage occurs to a Town facility because of a group’s use, it will be paid by the contact person for that group or if park area is used by an unreserved group or person they will be responsible for all damages occurred when identified.
- The permit holder will comply with ADA requirements, and will make programs accessible for those who require special assistance.
- Individuals or groups reserving the fields for use must provide the Williston Recreation and Parks Department with a Certificate of Insurance as proof of a Comprehensive Liability Policy naming the Town of Williston, as an additional insured party, from the loss or liability arising from their sponsored activities. The limits of the Comprehensive Liability Policy should be no less than One Million dollars ($1,000,000) per person and One Million dollars ($1,000,000) per occurrence. No Parks Permit will be issued until the Certificate of Insurance is received by the Williston Recreation and Parks Department.
Field/Facility Rules and Regulations
The following are the rules and regulations of use of the Williston Park areas, fields, or facilities.
- Town Parks are open and available for use from dawn till dusk. Exception to this rule is the rink area in Williston Community Park, which is has lighting available until 9:30pm.
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in all town parks, facilities, and on school property.
- Smoking and use of any tobacco products are prohibited in all town facilities and on school property.
- Moving anchored goals is prohibited, and in doing so could cause serious injury or death and cancellation of a permit.
- If goals that require sandbags are moved. Sandbags must also be moved and used on the goals. Not doing so could cause serious injury or death and cancellation of a permit.
- The field/facility must be returned to its original state, as it was when the group arrived. If any equipment, goals, benches, bleachers, or other amenities are moved they are to be returned to their original location.
- All trash and recycling must be picked up and placed in the proper receptacle. Any overflowing trash or recycling must be removed by the permit holder, at their expense, and not left outside a receptacle.
- Trash removal is required at the expense of the user group of 50 or more people or a tournament/jamboree type activity. Groups will supply their own trash removal; extra bins, dumpster, hauling away trash. See below CSWD requirements for Waste Management.
- Users must use only the provided bathroom facilities. Portable restroom facilities are required at the expense of user groups of 50 or more people or a tournament/jamboree type activity.
- No group shall conduct activities that require undue additional work for the Williston Recreation and Parks Staff. This includes wear and tear on turf and equipment, or trash clean up. Group will be charged for any expenses accrued after activity/event.
- All groups using Town facilities must comply with all local, state, and federal codes, regulations, and laws, of notice are CDC guidelines and fire and safety codes.
- If a group is found to be in violation of any Town of Williston ordinance or policy, State of Vermont or Federal law, or the conditions set forth by the Williston Recreation and Parks Department, the group will cease to use the park facility until the situation can be remedied.
- Parking or driving is prohibited on all grass areas, fields, or the Rec. Path. All motor vehicles must remain on roads or in parking lots maintained for vehicular traffic. Speed limit in all parks is five (5) M.P.H.
- All activities must be halted or canceled if the condition of the field/facilities would be deemed ‘unplayable’ by a reasonable person. This would include but is not limited to; an ongoing and active weather event, ANY standing water on the field of play, drought conditions causing dry and brittle turf.
- No users may use amplified sound or additional lighting unless special permission is granted.
- No tickets are to be sold, admission fees charges, concessions allowed, or any money-raising methods used without the express written permission of the Williston Recreation and Parks Department.
- The owner of every type of animal shall be responsible for the removal of any excreta deposited by their animal(s) on fields, courts, public walks, recreation areas or public property.
- Each distinct facility may have additional rules for use that apply to that specific location. User groups will be given any additional rules at the time of facility reservation.
- No organized programs, camps, practices, or fee-based lessons are to be conducted at any of the courts or fields in Williston without a permit.
- All fields, courts and park amenities close the last week of October, prior to Halloween, in preparation for winter.
Waste Collection, Management, and Disposal
Williston Recreation & Parks requires compliance with the Chittenden Solid Waste District’s Solid Waste Management Ordinance as a condition of using the property.
Requirements of this Ordinance include:
- Trash, recycling, and composting receptacles for use by event attendees and staff must be provided in equal numbers and must be placed as close to each other as possible for equally convenient access.
- All containers for trash, recyclables, and compostable are required to meet CSWD’s color and labeling requirements.
- Mandatory recyclables and food scraps must be collected in separate bins and kept separately from any trash bins.
- They must be free from contamination while awaiting pickup or delivery to the appropriate facility.
- Plastic bags must not be put in bins or dumpsters that collect recyclable or compostable materials.
- If recyclables are collected in bags, the bags must be emptied into the recycle dumpster.
- Compostable materials can be collected and transported in bags that are clearly labeled as CERTIFIED COMPOSTABLE. Bags labeled “degradable” or any version of that are not acceptable and must be emptied into the dumpster.
The Permit Holder is responsible for ensuring compliance by all staff, volunteers, performers, vendors, guests, and other visitors to the property.
The Chittenden Solid Waste District offers technical assistance, training, container labels, and other resources at no cost to help you understand and fulfill these requirements. Visit cswd.net or call 802- 872-8111 for assistance.
Payments, Cancellations & Rainouts Information
No group, organization or individual has priority of a park field, facilities, or amenity without a valid permit from Williston Recreation & Parks.
Permit Application must be submitted a minimum of two weeks prior to scheduled event so, all paperwork and payment can be received prior to reserved date.
Payment and COI for reservation must be made received prior to the date of the reservation.
Permit will not be sent until payment and COI is received.
The Williston Recreation and Parks Department reserves the right to cancel the use of a park facility by any group/organization due to weather, field conditions or in favor of a group that is of higher classification.
If the Recreation Department cancels any reservation of facilities a full refund will be issued for the dates that are cancelled.
If a group/organization cancels a facility reservation, refunds will be handled as stated below.
If there is an outstanding balance, the refund will be automatically applied to the balance and any remainder will be refunded.
Refund checks take approximately three weeks to process and receive.
Processing Fee- $20.00 is deducted off all refunds- per single use or weekly reservations.
Remaining is refunded as stated.
Remaining Balance- Will be refunded up to one (1) week prior to the date of the reservation
No Refund- No Refund will be given if less than the one (1) week prior.
Rainouts do occur and the Recreation & Parks Department will work with group/organization to find a make-up date. If a date is not agreed on a refund less the processing fee- $20 will be granted.
Athletic Facilities and Amenities
- No fields may be used by organized groups or individuals unless scheduled and provided a permit from the Williston Recreation and Parks Department.
- To obtain a permit the applicant must first fill out a Field/Facility Permit Application and submit it to the Recreation & Parks Department.
- No fields may be used in the spring season until clearance is given by the Recreation & Parks Department.
- All fields may be closed at any time if deemed ‘unplayable’ by the Williston Recreation and Parks Department.
- All fields, courts and park amenities close the last week of October, prior to Halloween, in preparation for winter.
Multi-Use Fields: (Williston Community Park & Allen Brook Community Park)
Williston Community Park- Multi-Use Fields are lined for soccer and used for Ultimate Frisbee.
Allen Brook Community Park- Multi-Use Fields are lined for Lacrosse- Spring to mid-Summer and then lined for Soccer- mid-Summer to Fall.
Soccer Field: (Williston Community Park)
Soccer field is lined for different levels of soccer in the Spring and Summer and for the School team in the Fall.
Baseball/Softball Fields: (Williston Community Park, Brennan Community Park, Rossignol Community Park)
The Little League Organization has priority use of the fields in the Spring, and some use in the Summer and Fall for Babe Ruth, All-Stars and Summer and Fall Leagues.
In-Fields must be lined by user prior to their game/practice.
Sand Volleyball Courts: (Williston Community Park)
The courts may be reserved and will be signed with dates and times of reserved use.
When courts are not reserved Volleyball courts will be available on a first-come-first-served basis. No players shall use the courts for more than one hour if others are waiting.
Tennis/Pickleball Courts: (Rossignol Community Park & Williston Central School)
Unless special permission is granted the Tennis/Pickleball Courts will be available on a first-come-first-served basis. No players shall use the courts for more than one hour if others are waiting. The courts may be reserved for Recreation sponsored programs/camps and will be signed with dates and times.
Basketball Court: (Rossignol Community Park & Williston Central School)
Unless special permission is granted the Basketball courts will be available on a first-come-first-served basis. No players shall use the courts for more than one hour if others are waiting. The courts may be reserved for Recreation sponsored programs and will be signed with dates and times.
Ice Skating Rink and Skate Park: (Williston Community Park)
Unless special permission is granted the Skate Park and the Ice Rink will be available on a first-come-first-served basis. The area is to be shared by all types of users.
Disc Golf Course: (Williston Community Park)
Unless special permission is granted the Disc Golf Course will be available on a first-come-first-served basis. Players shall let faster players play through and not hold up at a tee.
Park Picnic Area: (Williston Community Park)
The picnic area can be reserved by groups. The picnic area is near the restroom building at Williston Community Park. There are 4 picnic tables and 2 charcoal grills.
Park Concession: (Williston Community Park)
Requests for use of the concession are dealt with on a case-by-case basis and are subject to fees.
Shelter: (Rossignol Community Park)
The shelter is used on a first come, first served basis, and is not reserved.
Tennis, Pickleball, Basketball & Volleyball Courts
All courts in the Town of Williston are a first come, first use. No times are allocated to certain groups to use the courts.
A group/organization can reserve a court for use and would have to supply the following: Permit Application, Certificate of Liability Insurance and Court Fee. A permit will then be issued for use with dates and times.
A sign will be posted at the court, by the Recreation Dept, with the reserved days and times to let the public know.
If courts are not reserved, the Rules Signs at the courts, ask that participants only play for an hour if others are waiting. Participants can also ask others to join in and play! No organized camps, practices or fee-based lessons are to be conducted at any of the courts, unless sponsored by the Recreation Dept.
Skate Park Elements & Ice Rink
Are open to all to use. There are no allocated times for certain groups to use these amenities. We ask that all users share, take turns, and play together.
Park Facility Use Fee Schedule
All scheduled use of fields, facilities and amenities must obtain a Permit from Williston Recreation & Parks prior to use.
Fees will be assessed according to the table below. Fee is calculated per hour, per field, court, or amenities. requested.
Fee and COI must be received prior to usage.
Baseball/Softball Fields are not lined in the infield areas, Permit holder must line infields.
| Fields- Soccer, Lacrosse, Multi-Purpose (games/practice)
|| $20 hr. per Field
|| $30 hr. per Field
| Fields- Baseball, Softball (games/practice)
|| $15 hr. per Field
|| $25 hr. per Field
| Courts- Tennis/Pickleball/Volleyball/Basketball (games/practices)
|| $10 hr. per Court
|| $20 hr. per Court
| Camps/Events- (field/court fees apply)
|| $5 per person
|| $10 per person
| Picnic Area- at WCP, 4 picnic tables & 2 grills
To be filled out submitted to Williston Recreation & Parks- Click Here